Nancy Jones of Raleigh, North Carolina, asked for a substitution for garlic cheese in a tube, a discontinued ingredient in one of our past cheese grits recipes. Substitute 6 ounces of Velveeta and 1 clove of pressed garlic in any recipe calling for a (6-oz.) tube of pasteurized processed cheese with garlic. We love the garlicky Cheddar grits in Hominy Grill's Shrimp and Grits, as well as the shrimp sauce. Serve this combo for Christmas morning breakfast to rave reviews!
Hominy Grill’s Shrimp and Grits Makes 6 servings Hands-on time: 50 min., Total time: 50 min.
More from Southern Living
- 2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (31/40 count)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits
1. Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Toss shrimp with flour until lightly coated, shaking to remove excess. 2. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. 3. Sauté mushrooms in hot drippings 4 minutes or just until mushrooms begin to release their liquid. Add shrimp, and sauté 3 to 31/2 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute (do not brown garlic). Add lemon juice and next 3 ingredients; serve immediately over Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits. Sprinkle with bacon.
Quick-Cooking Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits Makes 6 servings Hands-on time: 25 min. Total time: 25 min.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 (10-oz.) block sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Bring 2 Tbsp. butter, next 4 ingredients, and 41/2 cups water to a boil in a medium-size Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and remaining 2 Tbsp. butter until melted. Serve immediately.
Send Us Your Wish
Our Test Kitchen is granting recipe-related wishes every day until Christmas! Just follow this link to submit your wish.