Getting invited to a potluck is always fun. If you're pondering what to take, look no further. Whether you need a cool and creamy appetizer or a hot, hearty entrée, we've got great ideas.
- Goat Cheese Spread
- Ragin' Cajun Casserole
- Spaghetti-and-Spinach Casserole
- Turkey Pot Pie With Cranberry-Pecan Crusts
More from Southern Living
Goat Cheese Spread--a great opener--is packed with flavorful ingredients and takes only 30 minutes to make. Turkey Pot Pie With Cranberry-Pecan Crusts features turkey tenderloins, caramelized onions, and fresh spinach for the perfect sweet/savory combination.
All these dishes received high ratings in our Test Kitchens and can be made ahead of time. We know you'll be thrilled to prepare and share them at your next get-together.
Have Food, Will Travel
- Wrap casseroles with aluminum foil; then cover with newspaper or towels to keep food warm longer.
- Use lightweight, sealable serving containers. Shallow ones provide ample surface area to keep food cold and make packing easier.
- Pack perishable foods in a cooler. Avoid messes by using ice sealed in plastic bags or frozen gel packs.
- Bring dishes in reusable disposable containers that the hostess can throw away or keep.
- To keep dairy products, meats, fish, shellfish, poultry, cream pies, creamy salads, and custards at 40 degrees or below, chill before placing them in the cooler.
- Look for unique plates and serving dishes at local outlets or discount stores. For example, you can place a cake on a terra-cotta plate or put a salad in a similar pot.
- Serve cookies or brownies in decorative gift bags.
- Line a basket with a bandanna or colorful tea towels to hold croissants, rolls, or muffins.
- Use a decorative ice bucket for cold foods such as potato salad or coleslaw. Fill with ice, and place a bowl or container of your chilled side dish in the bucket. Then serve from on top of the ice.
- Collect containers suitable for instant flower arranging. Simple vases or bottles will work, as well as planters, galvanized buckets, or hurricane lanterns.